Capital Cross Round 2


Posted by auscxmag

Posted in News

words: auscxmag     photography: Monique Steger

Saturday saw round two of Canberra’s Capital Cross series take place in the southern suburb of Wanniassa at the same location and round one. Although it was the same park, it was a very different course and very different conditions to round one.


Paul Aubrey had set a short course of 850 metres which was packed full of features. The tight course featured many loose corners beneath trees, two sections of off camber embankments to negotiate, two sets of barriers, with one set being on an embankment section, lots of pinch climbs and a final flat straight to either try get your breath back or put the power down to make up time.


There was plenty of adverse weather in the Canberra area with Canberra airport recording 23mm of rain on the day, and plenty of thunderstorms north of town. But not a drop of rain touched the course area which encouraged a decent family turn out to the race.


The first race of the day featured C grade and also the kids on the same course. A few father and son combinations were on course, where encouragement was given, usually from child to adult.


Next race was B grade which featured more than twenty starters and some good close racing for the lower placings despite varied ability from self seeding on the day. The winner of B grade was a standout and possibly should have lined up for the final race of the day.


The final race of the day was A grade, which had attracted some familiar cyclocross faces of note despite locals Andy Blair and Shaun Lewis being absent due to the mountain bike nationals being held elsewhere. Garry Millburn had returned after winning round one, and joining him was Danny Hennessy, Carl Fokkema, James Collins, Nick Smith and event organiser Paul Aubrey.


As the whistle blew for the start, Garry Millburn took the holeshot as expected, and after one lap the field had many changes of position with some close groups racing hard from the start. Racing was fast and it was apparent that for most it was quicker to run the embankments than it was to ride them. Garry Millburn extended his lead over the duration of the race and never looked in trouble, while the battle for minor placings was tight between James Collins and Carl Fokkema until Carl took a fall in a corner which permanently disengaged his rear brake. Nick Smith crossed the line 15 seconds later for a comfortable fourth, while Danny Hennessy claimed fifth a lap down after an early crash stalled his race.




The twilight racing for round two had an excellent feel with plenty of people on course cheering everybody racing. The only disappointment of the day was not having any women racing.

The third and final round of the capital cross series will potentially have a new location, be sure to keep an eye on the calendar for any updates.